Name: Candidate Forums
Date: August 20, 2019
Time: 6:00 PM - 9:00 PM CDT
2019 TALLADEGA CITY CANDIDATE FORUM:
TIMELINE, FORMAT, RULES AND DECORUM
MODERATOR: Anthony Cook, Daily Home
CANDIDATE - ARRIVAL TIME: 5:25 P.M.
CANDIDATE ATTIRE: Business Professional
Candidates (only) meeting with forum moderator and host to discuss forum format, rules, decorum and answer any questions candidates may have. The meeting will be held in the office of the Ritz Theatre, which is the door to the right of the main theater entrance.
City council candidates to take their seats on the stage (remain seated throughout mayoral candidates? intro/statements.
Live streaming will begin
Welcome message to audience from George Culver, Director of the Ritz Theatre
Mayoral candidates to make their prepared statements (limited to 3 minutes)
City Council Forum
Intermission (15 minutes)
School Board candidates to be seated on stage
School Board Forum to begin
- The Daily Home, an unbiased event moderator, will pose questions to the city council and school board candidates through questions they have received from their readers and questions submitted by the membership of the Greater Talladega Area Chamber of Commerce.
- Time permitting, questions submitted during the event by the audience.
- The event moderator will maintain order and decorum for the event.
- A timer will be used to indicate end of time allotments. A bell will indicate that the candidate?s time has elapsed.
GENERAL FORUM RULES:
Mayoral candidates will be allotted 3 minutes at the beginning of the forum to make a prepared introduction about themselves and their campaign.
- Mayoral candidates will not be asked any questions by the moderator.
- ONLY Mayoral candidates will make prepared statements.
- Mayoral candidate statements will be restricted to 3 minutes or less at the beginning of the forum.
- Once ALL mayoral candidates have finished their statement, they will exit the stage as a group and sit together in a reserved section in the front of the theater.
- ONLY city council and school board candidates will be asked questions by the moderator.
- Each city council / school board candidate will have an equal and fair opportunity to address his or her position on the issue from the moderator.
- Order of appearance within each ward of candidates will be chosen alphabetically (A-Z) then reversed (Z-A) for the next question.
- Candidates are asked prepared questions on issues affecting the city and schools.
- Time permitting, candidates are asked questions submitted by the audience on index cards.
- No interaction among candidates, audience members or other program participants is allowed.
- Answers to questions on issues will be limited to 1 minute.
- No substitutes or stand-ins for candidates are allowed, and no pre-recorded statements will be accepted.
- Broadcasting: The Daily Home and/or the Chamber of Commerce will use Facebook to broadcast the forum. The broadcast will be recorded live, in its entirety, and will not be edited.
- At least two candidates will be required per ward.
- No candidates, board members and event organizers will be allowed into the venue wearing campaign buttons for their candidacy.
- Attendees shall respect the rights of others and shall speak in a civil and courteous manner.
- The forum is NOT a debate. No interaction or debate among candidates will be allowed.
- All interaction by a candidate will be through the event moderator.
- No direct interaction will be allowed from the audience. Only the moderator will be allowed to interact with candidates.
- There will be no ?winner? declared by the moderator or event hosts.
- ?Grandstanding,? speaking off topic, or off-color remarks will be called out of order by the moderator.
- No candidate or candidate supporters will be allowed to hand out materials, advertise, or otherwise solicit inside or outside the day of the event in any capacity.
- All political demonstrations are prohibited.
- Cell phones should be turned off as a matter of courtesy.
- Placards, signs, posters, packages, suitcases or other large objects are prohibited.
- Any violation of this code of conduct or forum rules will be cause for removal.
COUNCIL AND SCHOOL BOARD CANDIDATES
|Ward||Position||First Name||Last Name|
|1||Board of Education||Sandra||Beavers|
|1||Board of Education||Dixie||Bonner|
|3||Board of Education||Angela D.||Estelle|
|3||Board of Education||Jake||Montgomery|
|4||Coucil||Amy M. Calhoun||Bishop|
|5||Board of Education||James||Braswell|
|5||Board of Education||Susan Slaughter||Gaskin|